Featured Stories

Woman arrested after not returning $1.2 million accidentally deposited into her account

Untitled design (7)
JPSO

A 33-year-old woman has been arrested and lost her job after she attempted to keep $1.2 million that was accidently transferred into her bank account by her bank.

Officials say an accounting error was made during a program enhancement at Charles Schwab & Co.

The error accidently deposited $1,205,619 in new customer Kelyn Spadoni’s account instead of the $82.56 that she was due.

When Spadoni noticed the error she immediately transferred the funds to another bank account before the bank could rectify the situation.

The company says they tried to contact Spadoni on several occasions to get the money back but she ignored all of their attempts.

Charles Schwab & Co then decided to file a lawsuit against Spadoni.

“By her conduct, Spadoni has made it clear she does not intend to return the mistakenly transferred funds to Schwab,” per the lawsuit.

According to the report, the company has since received 75% of the money back and is suing for the other 25%.

Authorities say Spadoni used that money to purchase a house and a brand new 2021 Hyundai Genesis.

She has since been arrested and was fired from her job of 4-years as a 911 dispatcher for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

She is currently being held in Gretna at Jefferson Parish Correctional Center on a $50,000 bond.