UPDATED: Six Officers Wounded in Philadelphia Shooting



A nearly eight-hour standoff between a shooter and Philadelphia police came to an end overnight after a call from the gunman’s lawyer and a lot of tear gas.
Maurice Hill surrendered around midnight after holding off police for hours with a constant threat of gunfire.
Hill is accused of shooting six officers during a drug bust in north Philadelphia Wednesday afternoon.
None of the officers had life-threatening injuries. Hill then barricaded himself inside a house and refused orders to surrender.
Philadelphia’s police commissioner said negotiators tried to communicate with him, but he wasn’t responding.
Then Hill’s attorney joined a phone call and reassured him that he wouldn’t be harmed. Shortly after midnight, authorities announced Hill’s arrest.


Police report that an hours-long standoff with a gunman who is barricaded inside a northern Philadelphia home is continuing.

The gunman engaged in a shootout with officers on Wednesday afternoon, wounding six of them. All are in stable condition.

According to police commissioner Richard Ross, additional officers were also injured while responding to the scene.

He explains that the officers were in the process of serving a narcotics warrant at the home, and had already entered it, when the gunman fired multiple rounds, forcing officers to return fire.

Ross adds that some officers “had to escape through windows and doors to get (away) from a barrage of bullets.”

Two of them remained inside the home, although Ross believes they are safe.

The gunman is ignoring officers’ calls at this time.

This is a developing story.


At least 4 police officers in Philadelphia were wounded in a shootout with a suspect in the Nicetown-Tioga section of the city not far from Temple University Hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

Officers had been called to the 3700 block of North 15th Street to investigate narcotics activity when the shooting occurred.

A deputy police commissioner tells local media that the wounds sustained by the officers are not considered to be life threatening.

The scene is considered to be active and 2 additional rounds of gunfire occurred just before 5:30 PM.

Hundreds of officers and EMTs have converged on the scene, nearby schools are on lockdown including Temple’s Health Sciences Center.

One suspect is in custody and another is still at large.

A fifth officer was injured in a car crash while responding to the scene

This is a developing story.