Featured Stories

The mysterious deaths of three Americans at a Bahamian resort solved

UPDATE:  New details reveal the cause of death for three Americans who died at Sandals resort in the Bahamas was carbon monoxide poisoning, according to autopsy and toxicology reports.

A fourth person who survived the noxious gas was transported to a South Florida hospital for medical care and has been released from the hospital.

Resort staff at Sandals Emerald Bay in Exuma contacted the George Town Police Station shortly after 9 a.m. Friday after a male guest was found unresponsive in a villa.

When police arrived they also found another unresponsive couple in a different villa, police said.

Police found the first victim lying on the ground no signs of trauma and in the second villa, the man was found “slumped against a wall in a bathroom” and the woman was found on a bed, the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement.

“Both individuals showed signs of convulsion,” police said. No signs of trauma were found on either body.

Bahamas Minister of Health & Wellness Dr. Michael Darville confirmed that some hotel guests visited the resort clinic complaining of nausea and vomiting on Thursday.  They were treated and released according to the police report.

Friday, three guests were found dead and a fourth woman was airlifted to a Florida hospital for treatment and is reportedly in stable condition, according to reports.

Police said Friday they were working to confirm the identities of the deceased.

A guest at the resort where the Americans died said a faulty air conditioner leaking toxic coolant may have been to blame for the tragedy.

“Three of our neighbors in the building right next to us died and a fourth was airlifted in critical condition,” Sandals´ guest Chris Coucheron-Aamot posted on Facebook.

“There was crime scene tape and security guards all around our unit,” said the post from Coucheron-Aamot, who was staying in the same villas as the stricken guests.