Featured Stories

Reports: Video, Messages, Testimony Show Cover-up in NFL Arrest Case

90-1
Photo courtesy: Broward County Sheriff’s Office

A search warrant obtained by the New York Daily News shedding new light on the recent arrests of two NFL players from South Florida.

New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar were taken into custody for an alleged armed robbery that occurred on May 13 in Miramar.

The warrant cites evidence that was collected through previous warrants, including video footage and direct messages that allegedly show witness Dominic Johnson oversaw the payoff of Baker’s and Dunbar’s four alleged victims on May 15 at the office of Dunbar’s attorney, Michael Grieco.

Johnson is the witness who is referred to as “Coach” in the original arrest warrant. He who told police that he has known Baker and Dunbar since they were children.

He refers to himself as the CEO of Lockdown Promotions, a nightlife promotions company based in Miami.

Baker’s attorney, Bradford Cohen, recently claimed to have testimony that two witnesses never saw his client pull a gun or rob anyone.

However, Johnson’s Instagram messages also “corroborate a robbery had occurred and those who were charged were the participants,” the warrant states.

All four of the victims in the case have given sworn statements that they were paid at the office that day, in order to recant their sworn initial statements against Dunbar by signing affidavits.

The four men say they were paid a total of $55,000.

Detective Mark Moretti of the Miramar Police Department, who submitted the warrant reviewed by Judge Marina Garcia Wood, also pointed to direct messages between Baker and Johnson on Instagram that implicate Baker in the situation.

“There appears to be several phone calls between Baker and Johnson,” the warrant continues.

The warrant goes on to say that CCTV video evidence shows Grieco, Johnson, an unknown individual, and the four alleged victims at the attorney’s office on May 15, apparently making the payoff.

Johnson leaves the office, then returns from the lobby with another person.

During that elevator ride, the person with Johnson removes a “black bag” from his shoulders, “opens it and removes money.” He also “shows the open bag to Johnson and you can see a large quantity of money. Johnson then takes the bag,” the warrant reads.

At that point, everyone meets in front of Grieco’s office before going inside.

Moretti says he received notification from Grieco later that day, indicating there had been a change in the testimony of the victims and witness.

One victim says he received $30,000 in Grieco’s office. A second person says he received $20,000 in the lawyer’s office.

Meanwhile, a third victim alleges he only received $5,000 and gave half of the money to a fourth victim.

One of the four victims says “he was being directed that he didn’t see what he thought he saw” on the night of the alleged armed robbery, the warrant states.

Additionally, the victim who received $5,000 said Grieco walked back into the office “just after the transaction had occurred” and said “there is no way he (Grieco) could not have seen this transaction.”

“On 5/15/20, I was contacted by Michael Grieco, attorney for Dunbar, stating the victims and witness have recanted their sworn/recorded statements against Dunbar,” the warrant reads.

It goes on to say, “However, I also want the court to be aware that all five individuals have been threatened and have expressed extreme concern to me regarding their safety. One of the individual(s) was forced to move out of his apartment. The other was receiving texted messages containing pictures of his passport, the same passport that was stolen during the robbery.”

Johnson also sent his friends Instagram messages about his involvement in the case.

“After the papers were signed, Johnson made a phone call to Dunbar, while in Grieco’s office,” the warrant says. “Johnson was also communicating with Baker via direct messages, but it could not be determined if they actually met up.”

“Johnson’s actions contaminated the integrity of the investigation as he made the victims recant their statements, only after given them cash,” the warrant adds.

The 22-year-old Baker and 27-year-old Dunbar turned themselves in to the Broward County main jail on May 16.

They were later released on $200,000 and $100,000 bond, respectively.

Baker ultimately pleaded not guilty to four counts of armed robbery with a firearm and four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. Dunbar pleaded not guilty to four counts of armed robbery with a firearm.

The State Attorney’s office is deciding whether to file formal charges.

The NFL is also still investigating the incident.