Featured Stories | Karen's Crime Blog | News

Local 3-year-old resuscitated after ingesting Fentanyl

Police FB - Shirenna (27)
Broward Jail

Officials with Oakland Park Fire Rescue are reporting that they were called to a home to resuscitate a 3-year-old who reportedly ingested Fentanyl.
The incident occurred in the 1000 block of Northeast 33rd Street on Saturday.
Authorities say they were called to the area around 7:00 p.m. when the child suddenly collapsed and became unresponsive.
Officials intubated the child and used Narcan to resuscitate her after realizing she had opioids in her system.
Once at the hospital, authorities identified the substance as Fentanyl and began questioning the child’s parents.
38-year-old Janett Carter and 40-year-old Walter Carter told investigators that they were folding laundry and were unsure how their child got ahold of the opioids.
During further questioning, Janette later admitted that she bought two pills from a drug dealer on Friday which she believed to be oxycodone, and left them in her purse.
She then told police that the child loves to go through her purse and she believes the child may have consumed half of one of the pills.
Janett then agreed to take a drug test at the hospital and tested positive for Fentanyl.
Walter initially refused to be tested but eventually agreed.
He tested positive for Fentanyl, cocaine, and marijuana.
They were both taken into custody and charged with child neglect causing great bodily harm and drug possession.
Walter’s bond was set at $30,000 while Janett’s bond was set at $31,000.