A Broward judge makes it official and tells lawyers to prepare for a September start date for the Parkland school shooting trial in which the alleged mass murderer will face the death penalty.
Attorneys for Nikolas Cruz offered a guilty plea if the death penalty was taken off the table. The state declined.
Broward County Judge Elizabeth Scherer told lawyers Thursday that she expects the trial for the confessed Parkland school shooter to begin in September, but did not set a specific start date.
The long-awaited trial has been postponed due to the pandemic, but at Thursday’s hearing, the judge notified attorneys that the courthouse will ready by then to accommodate the trial.
“That gives plenty of time to accomplish everything we need and, if it doesn’t, we can address it at that time, “Scherer said. “But I want you all to look toward September as our goal as far as starting jury selection and pretrial motions”
The trial was supposed to start last year but was delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Cruz, 22, did not attend the hearing.
He has confessed to fatally shooting 17 students and staff members and injuring 17 others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Valentine’s Day in 2018
If convicted, Cruz faces the death penalty.