A Palm Beach County judge canceled a trial date for raspy-voiced rocker and local resident, Rod Stewart and his adult son. Instead, the judge scheduled a plea deal hearing for October 22nd to resolve battery charges brought after a New Year’s Eve fight at the Breakers Hotel with security guard nearly two years ago.
Court records show the hearing set by Judge August Bonavita will close the case without Stewart and his having to appear in court. The trial had been scheduled to begin Tuesday but was canceled on Thursday.
If convicted, the Stewarts were facing a year in jail, or probation and a $1,000 fine. The terms of the plea agreement have not been made public yet.
Stewart and his son are accused of pushing and shoving security guard Jessie Dixon at the The Breakers Hotel on Dec. 31, 2019, because he wouldn’t let them into a New Year’s Eve party.
Sean Stewart, now 41, shoved Dixon backwards and his dad, Rod Stewart, now 76, punched Dixon in his “left rib cage area” with a closed fist, prosecutors allege.
Two Breakers employees who were working the private event told police they saw Sean Stewart push Dixon and Rod Stewart punch the guard.
The arresting officer said he viewed security footage at the hotel and determined that the Stewarts were the “primary aggressors.”