Florida Department of Health confirms a 67-year-old Broward County man has tested presumptive positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) Sunday. This brings the total to three reported coronavirus patients in the county.
The health department tweeted, the patient is currently in isolation.
The Florida Department of Health announces a new positive #COVID19 case in Broward County. This individual is a 67 year old male who is currently isolated. For #COVID19 updates, visit https://t.co/e1S8bGG26U
— Florida Dept. Health (@HealthyFla) March 8, 2020
Two patients in Broward county were confirmed presumptive positive for COVID-19 Friday. FDOH announced those cases during the same time it confirmed a COVID-19 patient in Lee County.
Palm Beach County Department of Health Director Dr. Alina Alonso, County Administrator Verdenia Baker, county commissioners and representatives from emergency management announced Sunday evening that the Pennsylvania Department of Health had recently advised the Florida Department of Health that a man who traveled to West Palm Beach for a convention Feb. 28 has tested positive for COVID-19. The man has since flown back to Pennsylvania.
According to the Florida Department of Health, there is a total of 17 positive cases of the coronavirus connected to Florida. Of those cases, 11 patients are Florida residents, one patient is an out-of-state resident and five are repatriated cases.
The CDC is also advising the elderly to avoid travel on airplanes and cruise ships. The Associated Press reported late Saturday that the White House overruled a CDC warning that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines. Trump administration officials denied the report.
The State Department on Sunday warned Americans to stay off cruises amid the coronavirus outbreak — after hundreds of Americans were sickened on at least two recent cruises last month.
“U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship,” the State Dept. said in a statement. “CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.”
There’s an increased risk of catching the potentially deadly disease on a cruise ship, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
IF YOU FEEL SICK:
The Florida Department of Health has opened a 24-hour COVID-19 Call Center at 1-866-779-6121. Questions may also be emailed to email@example.com. Email responses will be sent during call center hours.
Gov. Ron DeSantis met with Vice President Mike Pence, Florida’s two U.S. senators and cruise line officials Saturday afternoon in Fort Lauderdale asthe state Department of Health announced more presumptive cases of the disease — this time in Charlotte, Okaloosa, Volusia and Manatee Counties.
Just after 9:30 p.m. Saturday the Florida Department of Health tweeted about a new presumptive positive case in Manatee County where it said the patient is in isolation and being cared for.
The Department of Health also announced cases in Volusia and Okaloosa counties in a tweet just after 7 p.m. Saturday. The post affirmed both individuals are now isolated but had recently traveled on a Nile River Cruise in Egypt.
A press release issued by the department reported the patient in Volusia county is a 66-year-old woman and the patient in Okaloosa County is a 61-year-old woman.
As a result of the cases, the department is now advising individuals who traveled on the Nile River Cruise from Feb. 4 to 18 to isolate themselves for 14 days upon returning home after multiple passengers tested positive for the virus.
FIU infectious diseases expert Dr. Aileen Marty joins Jen and Bill Monday morning at 7:05 for the latest on COVID-19. She is featured in this interview on Sunday in Miami.
For more information On COVID-19 from the CDC click here.