(WEST PALM BEACH, FL)– Fire Won’t Wait. Plan Your Escape. That’s the theme of this year’s Fire Prevention Week presented by The National Fire Protection Association and Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.
The annual event takes place each October and seeks to educate the public on fire safety, how to reduce the risks of household fires and what to do in the event of an emergency.
In 2021, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue responded to nearly 13,000 fire related calls.
Among the steps you can take to help protect your home or business from fire:
- Place smoke detectors in bedrooms, hallways, common areas, and the main living areas of your home. Replace the batteries yearly when the clocks turn back in the Fall.
- Create an escape plan in case your home catches fire and designate a place for everyone in your home to meet up at in the event of a fire
- Keep doors, windows and hallways free of clutter and obstructions
- Have a fully charged household or ABC class fire extinguisher handy
- Do not store flammable liquids such as gasoline indoors
In the event of a fire:
- Before you open a door, feel it with the back of your hand. If the door is hot, or it’s smoky on the other side, keep it closed and escape another way.
- Stay low to the floor, smoke rises and clearer air is closer to the ground
- Go outside, go to your family’s meeting place and yell for help. Or, call 911 if you have your phone.
- Do not attempt to reenter your home or business once you have escaped.