Featured Stories

FedEx driver chased and shot at by two men

IMG_4418-1024x503 (1)
Brookhaven Police Department

A 24-year-old FedEx driver is reporting that he was chased and shot at by two men while he delivered packages in a neighborhood.

The incident occurred on Jan. 24th in the Jackson suburb of Brookhaven, Mississippi.

D’Monterrio Gibson told police that he pulled up near the home where he was to drop off a package and noticed a white pickup truck driving toward the residence.

“In my mind, I’m thinking [the driver] is leaving to go to the store or something like that, but then they get extremely close to me and start blowing their horn. I proceed to leave the driveway. As I’m leaving the driveway, he starts driving in the grass trying to cut me off,” Gibson said.

Gibson told police that he managed to avoid the driver but encountered another man standing in the road:

“I drive down about two or three houses. There’s another guy standing in the middle of the street pointing a gun at my windows and signaling to me to stop with his hands, as well as mouthing the word, ‘Stop.’ I shake my head no, I hide behind the steering wheel, and I swerve around him as well. As I swerve around him, he starts firing shots into my vehicle.”

Gibson says after avoiding the man in the road he again encounter the man driving in the white pick up truck.

Gibson say the pick up truck chased all the way to the interstate.

At that point, Gibson contacted police where he was told that the men reported a suspicious person in plain clothes where the incident occurred:

Gibson says he responded that while he was dressed in plain clothes, he was driving the company van and delivering packages.

“Sir, I’m not a suspicious person, I work for FedEx. I was just doing my job,” Gibson said.

He then told authorities that the men where shooting at him. That’s when the dispatcher told Gibson that the men did not say anything about them opening fire on the van but that she would include it in the report and send it to her supervisor.

The next morning, Gibson and his manager checked the vehicle and found several bullet holes in the back of the truck and inside packages. They took photos and then sent them to police.

“There were bullet holes all in the back of the van, inside packages and everything like that.”

The investigator who went back to the scene where the shooting occurred reported that he found no evidence of a shooting, however.

Gibson also complained that when he spoke to investigators about the incident, he was asked if he did anything to make the men think he was suspicious person:

“I felt disrespected at that point because even if I did, they still can’t take the law into their own hand. So I told him all I did was my job. If they think that I was suspicious, that was on them. He was like ‘OK, I was just asking,'” he said.

Six days after the incident, a police report was filed and the duo turned themselves in.

On Feb. 1, the father Gregory Case, was charged with a count of conspiracy assault, and the son Brandon Case, was charged with one count of aggravated assault. Gregory was released on a $75,000 bond while Brandon was released on a $150,000 bond.