The family of a Florida teen who choked on a chicken nugget and died will receive a $2 million settlement from a Florida school district.
The settlement was approved by the Palm Beach County School Board on Wednesday.
The student, 19-year-old Kedar Williams who had autism, was rushed to a hospital Aug. 13, 2019, after choking on the chicken nugget at William T. Dwyer High in Palm Beach Gardens. Williams had a form of autism that made him mostly non-verbal, and he also had a condition that made him prone to aspiration, or choking, according to the family.
The settlement also sets up mandatory training for principals, teachers and other employees who work with special needs students, the South Florida SunSentinel reported.
An aide was supposed to be assigned only to Williams, however, video footage showed the aide attending to another student when Williams choked.
“His parents are pleased not only with the settlement, but they are most proud of the fact they fought for their son and fought for a training program designed to address the deficiencies that led to Kedar’s death,” said Sia Baker-Barnes, a lawyer who represents his mother, Megan Williams, and estate.