Featured Stories

Death toll rises as weather may hamper search for survivors in Surfside

Building Collapse Miami
A couple embrace as they wait for news of survivors from a condominium that collapsed, Thursday, June 24, 2021 in Surfside, Fla. Dozens of survivors were pulled out, and rescuers continue to look for more. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)

The number of people confirmed dead and unaccounted for in the collapse of a condo tower in Surfside, Florida rose Friday morning.
Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said this morning that 120 people are accounted for, but 159 are still missing and 4 people are confirmed dead.

This morning searchers are digging and crawling through the rubble with dogs and sonar equipment, accessing the collapsed building from the parking garage below.
Rescuers say they heard what sounds like banging but no voices.
Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah says his crews are listening for signs of life and his rescue workers refuse to give up on the possibility of finding more survivors.
Nasty weather could hamper the search and rescue attempts as they continue on Friday.


The 20-story building had more than 130 units and 55 fell as most people were sleeping. So far, there are 102 survivors including a 16-year-old girl and her mom. They fell from the ninth floor to the fifth.
The mom broke her pelvis but managed to pull herself and her daughter from the rubble.
Her husband remains missing. The governor says engineers will need time to find out what happened.
A family reunification center has been set up for anyone looking for unaccounted for loved ones. The reunification hotline number is 305-614-1819.
The White House has authorized FEMA support for the rescue and recovery effort.