Featured Stories

Cracker Barrel ordered to pay man $9.4 million after serving him chemicals

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Opening
(Eric Reed/AP Images for Cracker Barrel Old Country Store)

A man from Tennessee is to be awarded $9.4 million from Cracker Barrel after employees served the man chemicals in a glass instead of water.

The incident occurred at an establishment in Marion County in April of 2014.

According to the suit, William Cronnon went to the restaurant for lunch when he was served a chemical called Eco-San instead of a water. Cronnon says he drank the solution believing it to be water and ice but soon felt a burning sensation in his mouth and esophagus.  It was later discovered that one of the staff members accidently served him the chemical they were using to clean the kitchen.

The lawsuit also states that Eco-San is a corrosive chemical that caused injuries to his mouth and esophagus, which will continue to incur medical expenses.

A jury recently returned a verdict of $4.3 million to Cronnnon with punitive damages of $5 million, however, the size of the award may be capped due to a Tennessee law on civil damages.

Cracker Barrel released a statement saying that they did not agree with the verdict but they are glad the situation is over:

“While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed by and strongly disagree with the jury’s award in this case, which involved an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago,” Cracker Barrel Media Relations said in a statement emailed to CNN.

“Although we are considering our options with respect to this verdict, we are glad this matter is behind us so we can better focus on caring for our guests and employees around the country,” the statement continued.