Featured Stories

Broward Medical Examiner Rules Man’s Death Accidental After Struggle with Deputies

The Broward County Medical examiner has ruled that the airport death of Kevon Todd, who died after a struggle with sheriff’s deputies last spring, was an accident.

A report states Todd died from a drug overdose.

In a statement released late Friday, Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony said he is turning the case over to the state attorney’s office for a review of the April 9 incident, which occurred at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

“The county medical examiner has found that the cause of Kevon Todd’s death was a drug overdose, and found that the deputies who took Kevon Todd into custody did not contribute to his death,” Tony said in his statement.

“Security at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport is taken very seriously by deputies, given the tragic shooting that occurred there in 2017,” he continued. “That is why under my administration deputies have received additional training in responding to active shooter and other crisis situations, and based on the evidence I have, I believe the deputies in this case acted responsibly.”

The shooting to which Tony referred resulted in the deaths of five people and injured six others in a baggage claim area of the airport’s Terminal 2. Between 30 and 40 other people were injured in that incident.

In addition, Tony said he “tasked our Department of Fire Rescue to conduct a thorough administrative review of their response to this incident to ensure we did everything possible to save Mr. Todd’s life.

“My heart breaks for the family of Kevon Todd, and I hope the details released today give them a better understanding about what happened to their loved one,” Tony said in the statement.

According to its autopsy report dated April 11, the medical examiner’s office concluded that Todd died of “acute eutylone intoxication.”

Eutylone was listed in an “emerging threat report” last year by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Last year, Sweden’s public health agency suggested classifying the drug as a hazardous substance.

Last Thursday, family members demanded an explanation for the death and accused the BSO of concealing information.

“The family is entitled to answers and also is entitled to justice,‘’ Miami attorney Robyn Blake, who represents the Todd family, said Thursday.

According to timelines released by BSO, the situation that ended in Todd’s death started just after 9 a.m. on April 9 when 29-year-old Todd appeared on the upper level of the JetBlue terminal at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

Just before 11:30 a.m. that morning, a doctor pronounced him dead at Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Timelines show that Todd approached an airline ticket agent and started yelling after he entered Terminal 3, which is served by JetBlue and other airlines.

Shortly thereafter, the airline called for help.

Video from cameras worn by deputies and released by the sheriff’s office show an officer approaching Todd, speaking with him and then persuading him to leave.

However, Todd then re-entered the building after kicking off his sandals in the street.

He subsequently moved to an area near a security checkpoint, where he toppled over several stanchions and was taken to the floor by deputies who had chased him.

Video shows six officers trying to bring him under control, as he yelled and struggled to escape.

One officer was shown placing a knee between Todd’s shoulder blades below his neck.

After bring handcuffed, Todd was seen being carried from the building by three deputies and placed on his side on a sidewalk, where he appears to lose consciousness.

At 9:28 a.m., according to the timeline, “Mr. Todd intentionally hit his head on the metal barrier and is again controlled by the deputies.”

Eleven minutes later, Fire Rescue arrived with a gurney, administered CPR in a terminal hallway next to an elevator and then loaded Todd into the ambulance.

The drive to Broward Health took 17 minutes, and at 10 a.m., “Fire Rescue is heard saying that Mr. Todd has a pulse and is alive,” according to the timeline.

At 11:25 a.m., Todd was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Two deputies involved in the situation were treated for minor injuries.