Authorities are now reporting that the number of dead in the Surfside condo collapse has come to 10.
The 10th body was pulled from the rubble on Monday according to Miami-Dade County Mayor Danielle Levine Cava.
The Champlain Towers partially collapsed last Thursday around 1:30 a.m. Since then, authorities have been working around the clock in 12-hour shifts in an effort to rescue residents and or recover bodies.
135 people have been accounted for, however, 151 people are still missing.
“We are going to continue and work ceaselessly to exhaust every possible option in our search,” Levine Cava said in a press conference. “The search-and-rescue operation continues.”
Authorities have enlisted the help of K9 dogs, a variety of cameras, drones, sonar equipment, and heavy machinery to clear away chunks of debris.
Some people have been questioning why the search and rescue mission has been taking so long, to which Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah responded that that rescue efforts have been hampered by storms, fires, and other hazardous conditions:
“It’s gonna take time. It’s not gonna happen overnight. It’s a 12-story building. It’s gonna take some time,” Jadallah said of the search-and-rescue efforts.
Authorities also promised a full investigation into the collapse and have ordered the inspection of older building around the area:
“They’re in a preliminary investigation right now to determine whether or not they open a full investigation,” said U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Florida. “How are we gonna deal with the long-term implications of this? Did this only impact just this building?”