Anthony Weiner Pleads Guilty to Sexting Teen

Former congressman Anthony Weiner appeared in federal court Friday where he plead guilty to one charge of transferring obscene material to a minor as part of a plea agreement with the US Attorney’s Office in Manhattan.  During the court hearing Weiner apologized to his family and to the 15-year-old girl he targeted.

“I accept full responsibility for my conduct,” he said. “I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse. I apologize to everyone I have hurt. I apologize to the teenage girl, whom I mistreated so badly. I am committed to making amends to all those I have harmed.”

Investigators discovered that Weiner had been sending suggestive messages, emails, and photos to a 15-year-old who lived in North Carolina between the months of January through March of 2016 while he was running for mayor.

When the scandal became public, Weiner originally suggested that he had been the victim of a hoax, before later admitting he was actually involved with the teen.

Though it was said that Weiner had been involved in multiple sexting scandals since before running for mayor, the incident involving the 15-year-old girl proved to be the end of his marriage to Huma Abedin and the end of his political career.

Weiner told the court that he admits he has an sickness and has been seeking treatment since the fall.

“I had hit bottom,” Weiner said. “I entered intensive treatment, found the courage to take a moral inventory of my defects, and began a program of recovery and mental health treatment that I continue to follow every day.”

The charge Weiner is facing, carries a sentence of zero to 10 years in prison, meaning that Mr. Weiner could avoid prison, however, he will likely have to register as a sex offender.

 

Related Content

Comments